A sumptuous meal is always incomplete without dessert. Don’t you agree?
“I’m not a vegetarian! I’m a dessertarian”, a famous quote of Fernando Pessoa perfectly tells the feelings of Indians. we Indians love cooking it too. Sweet dishes are loved in every part of the nation.
whereas I am not chocolate, cake lover but I love to bake for my hubby and my kids. My cake baking journey is gifted by Nita Mehta book, this too is an inspirational recipe of her. Its little bit long recipe but worth trying it.
Chocolate Fudge Cake with Roasted Nuts
Ingredients for cake
- 190 GM’s (1 3/4 cups) flour
- 180 GM’s (1 1/2 cups) powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup + 1tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold refrigerated water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup soda water
- 6-7 tin – line button with paper or aluminium sheet and grease it’s sides too
- 1/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp Cocoa powder, and 3/4 cup water-boil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts – roasted on low heat
- 1/2 cup (100 gms) cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dark chocolate (150 gms)
- Ficus leaves, optional
- Whisk flour, powdered sugar, Cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl and keep aside.
- Put cold water, oil, white vinegar and vanilla essence in a big mixing bowl.
- Add flour, mix in 2-3 batches, folding gently with spoon or egg beater each time.
- Pour 1/4 cup soda water. Mix quickly.
- Immediately transfer batter into the prepared 6-7 ” tin. Bake at 180c for 35 minutes. Check with tooth pick.
- Cut the top of the cake to level it and even I gave the cake shape of heart . Collect the crumbs for the roses if you like. Cake trimming make beautiful roses.
- For roses, add 2-3 tbsp Cocoa and sugar syrup to about 1/2 cup cake trimmings and mix well to get a smooth pliable dough. Make roses with this chocolate dough. Knead well with your Palm on a flat surface for about 6-8 minutes till about smooth dough is obtained.
- Roll out a small ball on a surface sprinkled with icing sugar. Cut into 2 pieces. Roll out each to get 2 centers.
- Roll out more balls and cut. Arrange as petals around the center. Turn edges to make a rose.
- Melt 2 tbsp chocolate in a microwave or a double boiler method. Stir with a spoon till well melted. Brushed on washed fiscus leaves or spread with a spoon on the leaves on the right side. Keep in the fridge to set.
- Very carefully peel the leaf off the chocolate, starting at the steam end. Keep chocolate Leaves in the freezer for 1-2 hours to become hard.
- For the topping , warm cream in a pan. Add remaining chopped chocolate and stir till smooth. Stir in low heat till smooth to form ganache. Remove from fire. Keep ganache aside.
- Cut the cake into two layers. Place one layer of cake on a rack. Keep an empty plate beneath it. Soak the cake with 5-6 tbsp Cocoa and sugar syrup. Pour some chocolate ganache on it. Place the second layer of cake on it. Pour the remaining chocolate ganache on it to cover top and side completely.
- Sprinkles the almonds and walnuts on the cake to cover completely.
- Put the ganache on top of the cake with the help of paper pipe or spoon. Arrange roses on top and chocolate leaves.