Waking up in the middle of the night is not just a problem of adults but is also happens to many toddlers. When kids wake up at night, parents not only get concerned but they also need to find the reason behind it. It is a hard time for parents to wake up and take care of there toddler in mid-night.
There are many factors which lead to waking up of a kid in the middle of the night. If it happens for once or twice, then there is no need to worry but if it happens for like one week continuously or for a month then you need to really get concerned and take some actions.
If you are facing the same problem with your toddler then below are the reasons behind their waking up and also tips you can follow to prevent waking up of your baby in the middle of the night.
What are the reasons behind your baby waking up at Night?
If you are worried about why your baby wakes up in the middle of a night, then let me tell you there are innumerable reasons behind it and not just one.
- Discomfort because of physical causes:Yes, one of the main reasons is physical causes. Infections in ears or a stuffy nose can result in waking up of toddler and crying in the night. Thus, it is important that you reduce your child’s discomfort.
- Anxiety:Yes, some toddlers wake up in the middle of the night as they are feeling some of the type of anxiety. As a growing newborn few things can cause anxiety to them like a new sibling, a move, or a new nanny. Due to these, they might have restlessness in the night which results in waking them up in the night.
- Tiredness:Toddlers sometimes can be too tired or not at all tired. Some babies wake up in the middle of the night because they have slept too much in the daytime or just opposite. They are overtired to sleep in the night and thus wake up again and again.
- Hunger:Hunger is also one among the reason behind your kid waking up. Some babies expect food at night and this is why they wake up in night looking for it. Thus, keep in mind to feed your toddler properly before he sleeps.
- Surrounding: TV is on in the room, loud music, loud noise can be some of the factors which lead to waking up of your kid in the middle of their sleep.
Tips you can follow to prevent waking up of your toddler in night:
Night time waking up of your baby is a bit stressing. It not only disturbs them but also your night sleep. What may be the cause behind there waking up, it is necessary that you do everything in your hand to curb their nighttime wake-ups. Below are the tips you can follow:
- Have Patience: As soon as you come to know that your baby is awake, don’t just rush in. Wait for a few minutes if they go back to sleep by themselves. When they don’t, reach out to comfort them & see what is wrong. It often happens to babies that they begin to whimper or cry in sleep and in a few minutes return back to sleep. So, always have patience before rushing in.
- Low comfort:When the toddler wakes up in the middle of the night, don’t pick them up in your arms and talk to them. Instead, you should pat on their back so that they can fall back asleep. When they are about to sleep, just leave the room and if your baby starts crying again then wait for few minutes to return back.
- Be consistent:If your toddler wakes up at night be consistent every night rather than offering assurance one night and bring them to your bed another night. Don’t confuse your baby as they won’t be able to learn how to fall back asleep by their own.
- Environment:Create a sleepy environment on your home so that it reduces there chances of waking up in the middle of the night. Comfortable & soft sheets, room darkening shades are the few things you can opt to make them fall asleep.
- Sleep Disorders:If after doing your best comforts, your toddler still wakes up in the middle of the night then they might have a genuine sleep disorder. In this case, talk to a doctor or pediatrician to have a solution to your concern.
- Temperature:one of the factors which woke up your child in the night is Temperature. Keep the temperature of the room appropriate. Avoid bundling your child with so many blankets and also don’t set the heat too high. Just maintain the typical room temperature or cooler environment to promote deep sleep of your toddler.
So, follow these tips and have a happy parenting!
‘I am taking my Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter’ . If you like my post and you wish to read more, you can find all my posts under the hashtag #SagaofGurjeet .